Monday, February 13, 2012

Bradford - Good or Bad???

              I know that people are going to disagree with this topic even before I write it, so I want to preface it by saying that I am not a Bradford-hater.  I like the guy and think he has a good amount of potential.  However, I have a big problem with how Rams fans give Sam Bradford a free pass on the team’s struggles.  I think Bradford’s rookie season was overrated, and he hasn’t really proven himself for a man who signed an insane $50 million dollar contract which is the last of the big money rookie deals in the NFL. 

                Let’s first look at 2010.  In 2010, Bradford had the second most passing yards by a rookie since Peyton Manning.  He also set rookie records in 2010 for most attempts and highest completion percentage.  In my opinion, Bradford had one of the most overrated rookie years by anyone in the league, ever.  I saw a very bizarre statistic that I thought put some clarity on Bradford’s so-called wonderful rookie season.  The stat ranked all of the quarterbacks in the history of the league that were top 5 in attempts and aged 22 to 24.  There are 23 quarterbacks that fit this criteria.  Bradford ranked 21st in yards per attempt out of these quarterbacks.  So what does that mean?  He completed an insane amount of attempts on dump-off passes that padded his completion percentage.  This also means he had trouble reading defenses.  If QB sit in the pocket and cannot find open receivers down field, they will dump the ball off.  In 2010, Bradford threw the ball a lot—so much that he set a rookie record for attempts. 
                With attempts comes yards.  I think “yards” is the most overrated stat in football.  If a team is struggling or down, they have to throw the ball, and as a result, they get yards.  Teams that throw a lot, like the 2011 Patriots, are inversely the worst rushing team in football.  Teams like the 2011 Broncos, who were the worst passing team in football, were the best rushing team in football.  I think this stat doesn’t hold as much water as one would think.  I don’t want to get into the quality of teams the 2010 Rams beat with their 7-9 record or the fact that Bradford choked when playing for a playoff spot in Seattle, but his 2010 was overvalued.
                Now let’s look at 2011.  Bradford had a bad year across the board.  He was hurt first and foremost.  The Rams receiving core was painfully bad and played that way throughout the season with little high points.  Accordingly, his stats were painful to look at.  His QB rating, TD’s a game, TD/INT percentage, completion percentage, and fumbles were all worse in 2011 than 2010.  Rex Grossman, arguably one of the worst starting QB’s in football, had a better QB rating, completion percentage, and yards per completion than Sam Bradford in 2011.  I think people forget that Bradford also played in 10 games in 2011, which makes it 26 games for his career.  That is a good amount of games for a starting quarterback.
                So why the free pass given his atrocious 2011?  Is it his age?  Is it the Rams have such a poor receiving core?  Is it that he was very popular and proficient in his college career?   The answer is yes to all.  I have heard at nauseam that Bradford just needs good receivers to throw to and he will be fine. This is the argument that really bothers me.  It’s the argument that if a player struggling but just had a great line, a great back, great receivers, and a great tight end, then our quarterback would be fantastic.  What other decent quarterback wouldn’t be good in that kind of scenario?  Give me a break.  Quarterbacks have more pressure than any position in any sport.  So why do we continue to give Bradford a complete free pass with no pressure by local media when it comes to the Rams losing? 
Bradford is a good-looking kid who was very popular at Oklahoma and nationally.  There are obviously a large amount of Mizzou fans that are also Rams fans.  Seeing Bradford in the Big 12 and playing so great in Mizzou’s backyard for years had all of Rams nation going crazy for the Rams to get such a highly-touted quarterback with the number 1 pick who most of us were already familiar with.  St. Louis wants Bradford to be the man—plain and simple.  He has all the intangibles on his side with the pedigree, history, familiarity, fame, and national attention that points him to be a star without having to even throw a pass.  This is the type of player the Rams are desperately seeking for a star-less team.  I think Rams fans are so blinded by the star potential that we blame his struggles on a crappy receiving core.  Do I think Bradford would do better with better wide receivers?  Absolutely.  But in this pressure filled position (i.e., being a quarterback in the NFL), I want him to find a way to perform regardless.  This might be a little unreasonable but I think some of the team’s struggles need to be on Bradford’s shoulders and not on every other Rams player.
Written by Jon Wekerle

5 comments:

  1. I completely disagree with this, and I may need to write a separate post to illuminate all the reasons why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a feeling you would. I love Bradford and own a jersey of his but I think that he deserves a lot of the bame even though he gets none of it at the moment. I understand the bad situation but in this league QB's need to perform right away expecially at the number one pick spot regardless of situation. With 26 starts in the NFL, I think he is way beyond project at this point and he needs to be blamed at least a little bit with this horribly bad offense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did want to add onto the portion that talks about his completion percentage in 2010. To compare it to the NBA, big men who shoot shot or dunk the ball usually have the highest field goal percentage. So more pure shooters in the NBA have a lower FG % b/c they are shooting from range. I think this can compare to the NFL. If you are throwing short passes oposed to long passes you will have a higher completion percentage but it doesnt make you a better QB than a QB that throws the ball downfield. His numbers reflect that with a higher completion percentage and extremely low yards per attempt. I just think too many Rams fans rely on these "record setting" numbers when they give excuses for Bradford.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually think he was playing well before the injury. I agree with the argument that good QB's find ways to make plays even if they aren't surrounded by great players, but I think this situation is unique because we're talking about an offensive line that was among the five worst in the league and a receiving core that (before Lloyd) was the worst in the league. It's not that he has to have everything, I would just like him to have something before I decide. I think there are too many confounding variables to really draw any conclusions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I remember is his Tight ends and Wide Recievers in 2011 dropping pass after pass.

    ReplyDelete